Here are a few tips to guide you when driving in Portugal, Algarve.
• License: A valid Driver's License or an International Driving License
• Minimum acceptable rental age of driver: 21
• All Traffic flow: right side of the road
• Emergency National Phone Number : 112
Otherwise signalized here are the following speed limits :
• Built-up areas (Inside Villages, Cities or Towns): 50 km/h = 30 mph
• Other roads (Outside Villages, Cities or Towns) : 90 km/h = 54 mph
• Motorways: 120 km/h = 72 mph
" Important Warnings to Drivers "
• Documents relating to the car and its Insurance must be kept in the vehicle.
• "On the Spot" Traffic fines can be applied by the Police and may demand
immediate payment either in cash or using a Credit Card.
• Seat belts fitted in back and front of a vehicle must be worn at all times.
• Children under 12 years old are prohibited from sitting in
the front seat and are required to be fastened in the
appropriate style chairs for their age in the back.
• At the junction of two roads of equal importance, traffic
coming from the right always has priority unless otherwise signalled.
• Vehicles already in a traffic circle (roundabout) always
have priority over those vehicles about to enter into it.
• It is against the law to park on the side of any road facing
the oncoming traffic lane. Breaking this law is very dangerous
to other drivers as they will not be expecting this unlawful movement.
• Vehicles must carry warning triangle sign and a reflector vest.
• Drivers are not permitted to accept or make mobile phones calls whilst the vehicle is in motion.
• Speed limits are enforced by radar traps, cameras, and often unmarked police cars.
• A driver's blood alcohol level is not allowed to exceed 0.05
percent and the penalties are extremely stiff and high levels
of alcohol may include time in prison.
Our Printable Algarve Road Map (Click Here)
Our Distances Chart of Several Locations in the Algarve (Click Here)
Our Distances Chart of the Main Towns in Portugal (Click Here)
In order to read this document you need Adobe Acrobat Reader
If you don't have this program please (Click Here) to download.